Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Christmas Cookies, Done & Done.

So here we are, Hampton & Bekah blogging together! It is an obvious match made in heaven (to anyone that knows us, & those that don't, you'll catch on quick) & hopefully you will enjoy what is to come!

Since living on my own, and with some inspiration from Hampton (she doesn't know that!), I have become quite the Betty Crocker. I love my kitchen & what I have been able to create has given me a great sense of accomplishment. The feeling I get when I make a pot full of soup that my sister-in-law begs for in the winter months, to the batch of cupcakes I make for my co-workers is a great one to say the least. So it's no different when it comes to making Christmas cookies for my friends & family. If you follow my personal blog you'll remember my cookie post & here are the results!
Snickerdoodles! They turned out moist, chewy, & with the right amount of sweetness. The perfect alternative to feeling overloaded by all the chocolate.

A holiday staple in the Wortmann household, Seven Layer Bars. Give them any name you want, they are super easy to make & always delicious no matter what you throw in them.

These might not look like the traditional Peanut Butter Cookies, but hey! they taste even better!

I was pleasantly surprised when these Oatmeal Raisin cookies turned out as chewy & yummy as I hoped! I wasn't always a fan of the oatmeal raisin cookie, but this recipe made me a believer!

These Neiman Marcus cookies where definitely the surprise favorite at work. They aren't soft or chewy, but perfectly crisp & airy. In my opinion the ultimate dipping-in-milk cookies, if you're into things like that. (I sure am!)

MmmmHmmm, Coconut Macaroons. These are some of my favorite cookies & I thought they were the perfect surprise to my cookie mail-out.

Now you might be thinking these are waaaaaaay too chocolatey, but you're wrong! The only part that was chocolate was the dough, the rest was yummy toffee & walnuts. Chocolate Toffee cookies, a sweet companion to a nice cup of coffee.

I saved the best for last. Chocolate Chip! Not any ol' regular chocolate chip but my good friend, April's Ever Famous Chocolate Chip Cookies. She really should sell this recipe because these were amazing, my only regret is I didn't make enough to have left overs! (no worries, I'm making more next week) They are crisp on the outside & chewy on the inside. You could have sworn you bought these at Mrs. Field's but I have to admit they are WAY better than a mall cookies, ANY DAY!

With the permission of April, I get to share the recipe with you! This is seriously a must try recipe, you won't regret it.
(copied just how she sent it to me)
---------------
April's Ever Famous Chocolate Chip Cookies
Preheat oven to 375'
3/4 C. firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 C. sugar
1/2 C butter (soft)
1/4 C butter flavored Crisco (shortening)
1 1/2 t. Vanilla
2 eggs
1 t. baking soda
2 C. Flour
1/2 t. salt
1 pkg. Hersey's Choc Chips
mix all wet ingredients until nice and mixed, then add sugars, mix until well mixed.
stir in choc chips
slowly add flour
refrigerate for no less than 2 hours... or at least til the dough is cold thoroughly.
Use your cookie scoop and make 1 inch balls and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
Cook 8 - 10 . or until its too your liking.. .I like mine still a little chewy... but don't under cook them... I cook mine for 9 mins...
---------------

Without the help of my amazing Grandma B, Krysta K, & Pete, I couldn't have completed this project nearly as flawlessly on my own. As far as a good baking tip, CHILL THAT DOUGH! I truly believe that chilling the dough made all the difference. I can say that because I didn't chill all the doughs, and the ones I did turned out the best. I am sure Alton Brown could give us a good run down on why that is key, but just trust me on this one. A big thanks to my wonderful family & friends for all your help & I hope all the recipients enjoy the season with some sweetness. (sounds kinda lame, but it's true :) )

The boxes filled & ready to go!

Pete giving the final sign off to the boxes, ready to ship.

Now get to baking people, you're friends & family will be thankful for it! (your waistline might not be, but that's what New Year's Resolutions are for!)



--------------
Now Playing: Blink 182 - "Feeling This"

5 comments:

  1. Dang, those cookies look so amazing!! You are quite ambitious and generous to make all those treats and send them to friends. We have a doctoral student working for us who is from Germany, and she has baked and brought to us two HUGE trays of the most beautiful and delicious German cookies and confections, almost too pretty to eat (I said "almost"). I know it must have cost her a ton because they have all kinds of nuts, and chocolate, and other wonderful ingredients. I don't bake much, but I surely admire those who do, and do it well. My BFF and I are going to do a baking day next week, so I may snag some of your recipes, and I'll remeber to chill the dough! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, what does Anam Cara mean? Is it an anagram or something? Or Latin?

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's a celtic expression for "soul friend" <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having a Christmas cookie baking party at Julie's today. Stealing four of these recipes. Hope they turn out good! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. how did everything turn out gail?!

    ReplyDelete