Friday, February 4, 2011

Red Velvet Success!

I have a secret & since you partially know all of my other secrets I might as well share this one with you. Right?! Right.

While I would like to think of myself as this amazing baker ( & I'm sure in comparison to others I am ) I still feel very amateur. (or at least I think so ha!) Red Velvet is probably one of my all time favorites. I can remember as a kid being so memorized by the red cake, & the sweet & tangy icing! Mmmmm. I have tired several different recipes & some how I ruined them all. The only thing I could get away with was the boxed stuff, and even though I am definitely not an elitist when it comes to baking, it just wasn't satisfying.

In walks Glenda! Glenda is Margaret's (my mom, I know you know that, but for the sake of anyone else that might read this.) ex-husband's wife. Did you follow that?! Anyways, back on track! She gave me her famed Red Velvet recipe. I was alittle nervous to try it because of my past experience with red velvet but I was determined!

BOOM! There you have it. The recipe was flawless (awww) & the cupcakes turned out super light & moist. The red turned out so bright, that I am excited to show these babies off at work tomorrow. I feel accomplished, & ready to take on anything! At least when it comes to baking.

still the greatest birthday gift ever! my cupcake courier, you're the best!

Glenda's Red Velvet Cake

2 1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1/2 cup crisco (I used butter flavor because that's what I had)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
2 bottles of red food coloring
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 teaspoon baking soda

In a large bowl (or mixer) cream crisco, sugar, food coloring, eggs, & vanilla. In a separate bowl sift flour, cocoa powder, & salt. Add flour, alternating with buttermilk to creamed mixture. Beat well. In a small bowl, mix vinegar & baking soda. Fold in baking soda vinegar mixture. Bake at 350 for 30 -35 mintutes. (for these cupcakes, I only baked them for 22 minutes & they turned out great.)

4 comments:

  1. i will def be borrowing this recipe for red velvet cake! red velvet is an absolute FAVE of mine and the misters so any good red velvet recipe i can find i will try.

    thanks for sharing! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. it was sooooo easy! i'll be make this for years so come! let me know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummm i love red velvet. i have a little mini-bundt pan i need to try out and this seems like a good recipe for it. i have never quite been able to get the hang of cupcakes. they always turn out dry for me and it bums me out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. please please please air the butt pee story soon ;-)

    ReplyDelete